In accordance with the new rules, implemented on Monday, owners must pay €35 for a genetic analysis of their pooch before it is fitted with a small tag on their collars which will include their name and an identification number.
It is hoped the tags will also prevent owners from abandoning or mistreating their animals.
Failure to register your furry friend will result in a fine of between €110 and €130.
“The idea isn’t to fine people for the sake of it, but so that the measure works properly, which means that there has to be an element of sanction involved,” said Raúl Jiménez, the head of Malaga City Hall’s environment department.
The city’s animal and bird collection service will send any stools it finds for analysis at a cost of €18, where it will be checked against the DNA registry.
Malaga is the first big city in the country to introduce the measure.
Owners have six months to register their pooches.
- BREAKING: Body of little Julen found in Malaga well - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 13:24
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50