Along with Greece, Bulgaria and Lithuania, Spain faces a ‘critical situation in terms of income inequality’, according to the draft 2018 Joint Employment Report, which uses data from 2016 and early 2017.
The wealthiest 20% of households in the country received an income share 6.5 times that of the poorest 20%, compared to an average of 5.1 times across the union.
Unemployment ranges across the EU, from 3.1% in the Czech Republic to 17.3% in Spain and 21.6% in Greece.
But Spain is still suffering from chronic youth unemployment, sitting at 40%, compared to an EU average of 18.7%.
Meanwhile, more than 70% of young workers in the country are working under a temporary contract (compared to only 13.1% for workers aged 25-49).
Spain’s youth situation has been described as ‘critical’ because almost 20% of young Spaniards leave school early, compared to the EU average of 10.7%.
Spain was praised for having a quicker-than-average drop in the unemployment rate and shortening of the gender pay gap.
- Direct Malaga to NEW YORK flights available from May 2019 - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 18:20
- Expats pay tribute to Marbella businessman ‘linked to TOWIE stars and Mohamed Al-Fayed’ after he was brutally gunned down on doorstep - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 14:03
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22