Along with Greece, Bulgaria and Lithuania, Spain faces a ‘critical situation in terms of income inequality’, according to the draft 2018 Joint Employment Report, which uses data from 2016 and early 2017.
The wealthiest 20% of households in the country received an income share 6.5 times that of the poorest 20%, compared to an average of 5.1 times across the union.
Unemployment ranges across the EU, from 3.1% in the Czech Republic to 17.3% in Spain and 21.6% in Greece.
But Spain is still suffering from chronic youth unemployment, sitting at 40%, compared to an EU average of 18.7%.
Meanwhile, more than 70% of young workers in the country are working under a temporary contract (compared to only 13.1% for workers aged 25-49).
Spain’s youth situation has been described as ‘critical’ because almost 20% of young Spaniards leave school early, compared to the EU average of 10.7%.
Spain was praised for having a quicker-than-average drop in the unemployment rate and shortening of the gender pay gap.
- British expats and locals FUMING as celebrity chef Dani Garcia’s chiringuito gets go ahead on protected land in southern Spain - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:16
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29