THE birth rate in Malaga province is at its lowest for a decade.
In the first six months of this year there were 6,728 births compared to 7,131 last year.
It is a 22% drop from the same period in 2007, figures from the National Statistics Institute (NIE) show.
The decline in births began as the economic crisis rocked Spain from 2008 onwards.
At the national level, the first half of 2017 continued the two-year trend of fewer births and more deaths.
Between January and June, 187,703 people were born (6.3% less than last year) and 219,835 (4.5% more) died.
It means Spain’s population has shrunk by 32,132 in the first half of 2017.
It’s more than triple that of last year, which saw Spain’s citizen numbers fall by 10,145.
In addition, it is noteworthy that the number of births of foreign mothers accounted for 18.7% of the total, compared to 18.2% in the same semester of 2016.
Only Melilla saw an increase in its birth rate (1.2%).
- Construction giant to build 700 homes in Mijas in €23 million investment - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 20:37
- British expat pensioners from southern Spain caged AGAIN after allegedly trying to smuggle €2 million cocaine haul on cruise ship - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 19:31
- POLL SHOCKER: Far-right Vox party could form government if Spain held general election tomorrow - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 16:04
- Spain accused of breaching maritime laws after shadowing British nuclear submarine as it left Gibraltar on secret mission - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:57
- Spain and UK to push through reciprocal deal for expat voting rights before Brexit - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:36
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23