THE birth rate in Malaga province is at its lowest for a decade.
In the first six months of this year there were 6,728 births compared to 7,131 last year.
It is a 22% drop from the same period in 2007, figures from the National Statistics Institute (NIE) show.
The decline in births began as the economic crisis rocked Spain from 2008 onwards.
At the national level, the first half of 2017 continued the two-year trend of fewer births and more deaths.
Between January and June, 187,703 people were born (6.3% less than last year) and 219,835 (4.5% more) died.
It means Spain’s population has shrunk by 32,132 in the first half of 2017.
It’s more than triple that of last year, which saw Spain’s citizen numbers fall by 10,145.
In addition, it is noteworthy that the number of births of foreign mothers accounted for 18.7% of the total, compared to 18.2% in the same semester of 2016.
Only Melilla saw an increase in its birth rate (1.2%).
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26