THE birth rate in Malaga province is at its lowest for a decade.
In the first six months of this year there were 6,728 births compared to 7,131 last year.
It is a 22% drop from the same period in 2007, figures from the National Statistics Institute (NIE) show.
The decline in births began as the economic crisis rocked Spain from 2008 onwards.
At the national level, the first half of 2017 continued the two-year trend of fewer births and more deaths.
Between January and June, 187,703 people were born (6.3% less than last year) and 219,835 (4.5% more) died.
It means Spain’s population has shrunk by 32,132 in the first half of 2017.
It’s more than triple that of last year, which saw Spain’s citizen numbers fall by 10,145.
In addition, it is noteworthy that the number of births of foreign mothers accounted for 18.7% of the total, compared to 18.2% in the same semester of 2016.
Only Melilla saw an increase in its birth rate (1.2%).
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22
- TASTING MANILVA: Discovering another side to this expat hotspot through cottage industry wine - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 11:51
- HOUSE OF HORRORS: Expat squatter couple caged and interrogated after dead baby and child, 3, found buried near luxury urbanisations in Spain - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 14:23
- Warnings as woman almost DIES in Spain after suffering huge allergic reaction to partner’s sperm in WORLD FIRST - 14 Mar, 2019 @ 17:36