BRITS hiring cars in Spain will have their data shared with Spanish police looking for terrorists under new government proposals.
The plans lay out how rental car firms will have to register their customers on a database the government can access.
Under the proposals, checks will be made before the vehicle is released for hire, although more specific details have not yet been released.
Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido announced the plans at a press conference where he said the idea was to ‘identify people who show patterns of behaviour compatible with terrorists’.
News of the planned Spanish crackdown comes after it emerged drivers in Britain would face extra checks when renting cars and vans to ensure they are not extremists.
The Barcelona terrorist attack this summer was carried out by a young man who had rented out a Renault Kangoo van.
The new Spanish law is expected to be in place next year.
Zoido said the measures, part of a package of anti-terror measures including tighter controls on the sale of gas cylinders, were in ‘their concluding stages.’
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15