The trifecta means it will be a Blue Moon, Blood Moon and a lunar eclipse all at the same time.
A Blue Moon is when two full moons happen in the same calendar month; lunar eclipses occur when the moon passes into the Earth’s shadow; and supermoons happen when the moon’s perigee — its closest approach to Earth in a single orbit — coincides with a full moon.
Tomorrow night, the supermoon also happens to be the same day as the lunar eclipse.
It means it will be a Super Blue Blood Moon.
In Spain, this supermoon can be seen ‘without any problem’ on the night of the 30 to 31, according to scientist Antonio Pérez Verde, although the eclipse will not be visible as it will occur at 2.30 pm on Wednesday.
While the Moon is in the shadow of the Earth, it will take on a reddish hue, known as the Blood Moon.
For observers in North America, Alaska or Hawaii, the eclipse will be visible before dawn on January 31.
For those in the Middle East, Asia, eastern Russia, Australia and New Zealand, the ‘super blue blood moon’ can be seen during the moonrise on the morning of the 31st.
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35