The holiday favourite throws away 4.745 BILLION plastic straws every year – around 13 million each day – and it is the fifth most common waste found on its beaches.
Greenpeace is now calling on Spain to introduce laws to ban plastic straws and other disposable products.
Plastic products like straws take up to 500 years to decompose.
“Spain -remember- is the country in Europe in which most straws are used: 13 million a day”, Greenpeace said, and each person uses 110 of these plastic single-use items annually, or one every three days.
Cigarette butts, food wrappers, plastic bottles and plastic bottle caps are the top four most found waste products on Spain’s beaches.
Julio Barea, responsible for the waste campaign at Greenpeace, said: “Plastic straws have become one of the most frequent elements in our seas, beaches and rivers, despite being the most unnecessary plastic utensil, in the Mediterranean they already account for 6% plastic pollution.”
It is estimated that between 40 and 60% of the turtles in Europe’s seas ingest plastics, while more than one million birds and about 100,000 marine mammals die every year as a result of plastic pollution.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15