TWO Andalucian villages have made Homeaway’s Seven Rural Wonders of Spain list.
Voted for by the travel website’s clients, in fourth place the Moorish hilltop white village of Vejer de la Frontera charmed visitors with its crooked streets and secret flower-filled patios.
Set in a fertile green valley surrounded by the orchards of Cadiz, this best-kept village has been declared a historical-artistic complex.
Carmona near Sevilla, whose stunning Roman necropolis is one of the best-preserved in Europe, came sixth on the shortlist of 20.
The village is loved for its impressive castle and Roman and Arab remains and lives up to the motto bestowed on it by King Ferdinand when he recaptured it from the Moors in 1247: ‘As the morning star shines in the dawn, so shines Carmona in Andalucia’.
The list was topped by the obscure hamlet of Robledillo de Gata in the Sierra de Gata mountain range near Casares. Chelva in Valencia came second, followed by Ribadesella, Asturias (3rd), Valderrobres, Teruel (5th) and Najera, La Rioja (7th).
- Popular Casino Games Across Europe - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 16:14
- OPINION: Why Mijas needs to see serious change in 2019 - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 17:36
- Is your home in Spain ready for the cold? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:30
- Travelling to Spain? Don’t forget about online safety - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56
- The gambling industry: Spain’s only economic hope? - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 12:00
- BREXIT: Ryanair gets new license to operate in UK in event of no deal - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- ENTIRE village in Spain on Gwyneth Paltrow’s Christmas wish list snapped up by EXPATS for just €150k - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- Flu EPIDEMIC to rock Andalucia next week as illness spreads through Spain - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 14:57
- Tunf Separates the Good Casino Bonuses From the Bad - 10 Jan, 2019 @ 10:44
- Children receive the Magi in the Sierra Nevada - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 18:16