A FLAMENCO singer who was arrested after he tried to set fire to a child has been released without charges.
Miguel Flores, also known as Capullo de Jerez, walked free from court in Jerez de la Frontera after the child’s family decided not to proceeed with the case.
Flores was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder on September 30 after he allegedly sprayed the child, a 22 month old girl, with petrol in the Asunción area of the town following a fight he had had with the girl’s father the previous night.
Eyewitnesses told police how Flores, 52, had approached the girl and her mother in the street and sprayed them both with the petrol from a plastic bottle.
The singer then lit a match and tried to set fire to the two.
Several neighbours restrained the singer, who was later arrested at his home and spent four days in a police cell.
However, the singer was released on October 3 after the family instructed their lawyer to drop all charges.
The wife and a neighbour of Flores had earlier told judges that the girl and her mother had accidentally been sprayed with petrol after the singer had covered himself with the liquid in a suicide bid.
Flores still has to report to police on the first of every month while judges decide if he should still be tried for attempted murder.
The singer has so far released three albums: Este Soy Yo, his debut, appeared in 2000 and was followed three years later by Miguel Flores. In between, the singer released a live album in 2002: Capullo de Jerez en Directo.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00