OVER 30 per cent of the unemployed in Europe are in Spain.New figures show that Spain has a total of 17.9 per cent of its workforce out of work.
In total, there are nearly two million more unemployed now than there were in the same quarter in 2008.
The number of unemployed people rose by 126,700 to 4.14 million during April, May and June — taking the Spanish jobless rate to more than twice the EU average.
It is by far the continent’s unemployment blackspot.
It means that, compared with the same quarter in 2008, a further 1.76 million Spaniards have lost their jobs.
However, the figures were not quite as bad as some economists had expected, prompting speculation that Spain — whose economy has been rocked by a property crash — may be past the worst.
They had predicted the jobless rate to hit 18.5 per cent in the quarter and said the lower figure could suggest that the second phase of the Spanish government’s emergency €18 billion package to stimulate the economy, launched in May last year, might be working.
The proposals saw €10 billion worth of tax rebates for individuals and businesses last year and a further €8billion worth of measures, including tens of thousands of new infrastructure projects, this year.
Xavier Segura, analyst at Caixa Cataluna bank, said: “Although the rate of unemployment growth is still intense, we are seeing a significant slowdown. This could be due to seasonal factors such as the Easter holiday week having fallen in April this year and the Spanish government’s infrastructure investment plan.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00