SPAIN is the hot spot for lost and stolen cards, according to new statistics.
The country has beaten France into second place by a massive margin.
Figures by insurance company CPP show that UK holidaymakers in Spain report twice as many cards going missing than any other country.
According to the annual ‘Card Loss Index’ there has been a 17 per cent increase in lost cards abroad in the past year.
According to the research, over a quarter of Britons admit to being more concerned about card fraud abroad this year than last.
One in six don’t trust cash machines on holiday, while nearly a fifth are so concerned that they avoid using cards altogether and rely on cash.
But despite the growing threat of card crime, holidaymakers admit to a laid-back attitude to security.
12 per cent leave their bags unattended on their sun-lounger, while one in eight have allowed waiters to take their bank cards out of their sight.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27