GREENPEACE has appealed against the controversial decision to stop the compulsory purchase of the illegal El Algarrobico hotel in Almeria.
The group is furious that the environment department has overturned its ruling from 2007, which would have expropriated the hotel and turn the area back to its original format.
Greenpeace said the change was “a serious error” and sent a confused message over the protection of the coastline.
The hotel was built illegally inside the Cabo de Gata Natural Park, just yards from the beach.
Greenpeace says it is ‘incomprehensible’ that 11 court rulings supporting the hotel´s illegality should not be sufficient for the Ministry in this matter.
“It is ‘incomprehensible’ that 11 court rulings supporting the hotel´s illegality should not be sufficient for the Ministry in this matter.”
The Junta now has two choices, to pay the developer Azata del Sol 80 million in compensation and demolish the hotel, or allow the developer to finish the hotel and open it.
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58