TORTURE by police officers, including threats with knives and guns, is still happening in Spain.
Amnesty International claims that other victims have been whipped on the soles of their feet.
In a new report, released this week, the human rights group highlighted what had happened in 11 cases that took place in 2007 alone.
Incredibly, only two of these cases have so far resulted in any conviction against the officers involved. Some six of them did not even go to trial.
In one case, while it was proved that torture took place, it was impossible to identify exactly which officer was the assailant and they were all acquitted.
Amnesty´s Spain expert, Rachel Taylor, said: “Unless the authorities demonstrate a will to make the necessary changes to ensure effective investigation, victims will continue to face obstacles on their way to justice.”
Amnesty stated that progress had been made in some police forces to prevent torture.
Measures included the installation of CCTV cameras in police stations and clear identification having to be worn at all times on police uniforms.
However, these changes have been made at a regional level rather than a national one and this is what needs to be addressed.
The report Spain: Adding insult to injury – police impunity two years on, was assessing what has been done since it highlighted the 11 cases in 2007.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27