A daredevil Swiss man failed to make the first intercontinental flight powered by just a jet-pack!
Nicknamed “Jetman”, 50-year-old Yves Rossy tried to fly the 37km across the Strait of Gibraltar from Africa to Europe.
The journey between Tangier in Morocco and Tarifa on the Costa de la Luz was expected to take less than 15 minutes to complete but Rossy had to ditch a wing as he landed in the Atlantic ocean.
Rossy jumped out of a plane at almost 2,000m. He was meant to cruise at a speed of around 200km per hour, before parachuting down to the Spanish coast.
Instead his team had to winch him, unharmed, out of the water with a helicopter.
Reports speculate that weather conditions or engine failure could have contributed to his failed attempt.
A year ago the plucky explorer boosted his way into the record books when he used a jet-propelled wing to cross the English Channel from Calais to Dover.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27