FOR years it has been one of the most dangerous blackspots in Andalucia.
But the dangerous bend on the A340 (A7) at La Cala de Mijas may have become one of the worst in Spain, after at least 15 crashes in just one week.
The Olive Press decided to record the number of accidents that took place there over the festive period.
“The corner is so well-known to traffic police that as soon as there is heavy rain, they wait in one local cafe for a call.”
While the Guardia Civil has not yet officially confirmed the number, local journalist Mike Souter – who overlooks the bend – has witnessed 15 over a ten-day spell between December 27 and January 5.
There were two crashes within half an hour of each other on New Year’s Day morning alone.
Explained Souter: “The corner is so well-known to traffic police that as soon as there is heavy rain, they wait in one local cafe for a call.
“There are always crashes there. It is so dangerous.”
The authorities are, of course, aware of the dangers, having installed extra flashing lights and warning signs alongside the road.
Stronger crash barriers have also been erected.
The main culprit of the problem appears to be the high-speeds at which vehicles try to take the hazardous S-bend.
“On almost every occasion the offenders bounce off the barrier at the right hand carriageway, spin round and end up facing oncoming traffic in the fast lane,” explains Souter.
At the time of going to press, Guardia Civil, Mijas Town Hall and local councillors had failed to comment.
Continued Souter: “There is no obvious solution. Bar one: When you see the ‘Curva Peligrosa’ signs and flashing lights at La Cala, take note. They are there for a reason.”
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27