A WEEK’s worth of beer, petrol and toilet paper is 20 euros cheaper in Spain compared to the UK.
When it comes to the basic essentials and our favourite vices Spain has emerged as the land of plenty at affordable prices, the Olive Press can reveal.
Despite a recent study by consumer watchdog Which? suggesting that Spain may no longer be such great value, many goods still undercut the UK’s finest.
In a survey of 25 common products, 75 per cent were cheaper in Spain.
When adding in groceries and vegetables – apart from carrots strangely – the average expatriate family living in Spain is saving around 100 euros a month.
“If you are going to shop locally here then you can definitely save yourself money,” said Mona Arain Crites, owner of Al Lago restaurant in Zahara.
“It certainly costs less than your average Waitroses and Tescos, and even the farmers’ markets which charge more because they are individually owned.”
The main things costing more in Spain are mobile phone tariffs, internet charges and electrical hardware.
However, the smart buyer in Spain could buy many of these items in Gibraltar at far cheaper prices than even in the UK.
It certainly pays to shop around but overall local produce in Spain is much cheaper.
The Olive Press found that – when converted to euros – six eggs cost 1.64 euros in the UK compared to just 0.95c in Spain.
Ronda artist Gabriella Chidgey, who runs a household of four, said: “Fruit and vegetables are definitely cheaper here and they are of a higher quality.
“However, I have found it much more difficult to get hold of free range chickens here.”
Meanwhile, petrol in Britain now costs 1.26 euros per litre, while it currently stands at 1.09 euros in Spain.
Furthermore, a bottle of San Miguel, bought at a Ronda bar costs 1.50 euros, compared to 2.28 euros.
Interestingly, a four-pack of Andrex in the UK costs an eye-opening 2.31 euros, while in Spain a similar brand (Sandrex) weighs in at just 0.72c.
See feature https://www.theolivepress.es/2010/01/27/does-it-costa-bit-more-in-spain/ for the full in-depth report.
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48