A 19-year-old from Madrid died instantly after being gored by a bull’s horn in the small Zamora province town of Fuentesauco on Saturday.
The teenager, Ivan Tejero Morales, was participating in a running of the bulls that the town had scheduled for 3 am while it was still dark.
Doctors tried to save Morales at the scene but could not revive him.
The town canceled all remaining festival events that day, but they resumed as usual from Sunday until the festival’s conclusion on Tuesday.
News of Morales’ death came just as thousands were gearing up for the famed San Fermin festival in Pamplona, which began its nine days of running of the bulls events on Tuesday.
Last year saw the first goring death in Pamplona in 15 years; so far this year there have only been injuries.
Among them is a 45-year-old Irishman who was taken to the hospital this morning after being gored by a bull. Doctors say his injuries are not serious.
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58