A SPANISH hospital has become the first in Europe to successfully remove a lung cancer using a revolutionary ‘deep-freeze’ method.
Doctors at the Santa Elena clinic in Torremolinos used a process, known as cryosurgery, to remove the growth from a 72-year-old Italian patient.
While the team has treated prostate and bone cancers with the revolutionary method, it was their first time dealing with lung cancer.
The procedure involves administering local anesthesia and lowering the cancer’s temperature to minus 192 degrees using an argon gas needle injection, rather than cutting open the patient.
After the injection, icy crystals form in the cancer area and freeze the harmful cells.
In the months following the operation, the frozen tissue thaws and is naturally absorbed by the body.
The minimally invasive technique is ideal for patients whose lungs are too weak to endure standard operations or who have other health problems that make open surgery too risky.
Just 36 hours after his procedure, the Torremolinos patient was on a plane returning home to Italy, hopefully cancer-free for years to come.
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58