WHETHER it will help the city’s capital of culture 2016 bid is unclear, but a new Ben and Jerry’s shop will certainly boost Malaga’s popularity among fans of good ice cream.
The American dessert joint is opening in Malaga’s la Farola port area, which will emerge revitalized in autumn of 2011 filled with new shops, bars, and restaurants.
Other restaurants of note that will open in the port area are Café de Paris, Foster’s Hollywood, a natural juice bar called El Capitán Garfio, Ruby’s Indian-Mexican cuisine, and a smattering of tapas outlets and sandwich sellers.
Over 65% of the port’s commercial space has already been claimed by businesses hoping to get in on the new venture, including 22 restaurants.
Aside from a lighthouse and an old chapel, which will be preserved among the new restaurants and shops, the port is largely undeveloped despite its ideal location.
Town hall and port authority planners hope to transform the port into a place that will draw passerby and get them to spend time—and money—in Malaga’s waterfront urban area.
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48