IT seems that La Linea’s mayor isn’t going to give up as easily as Gibraltarians were hoping.
Two days after suggesting that La Linea charge a toll for Gibraltar visitors coming through the Spanish border town, Mayor Alejandro Sanchez has travelled to Madrid to meet with Spanish Foreign Minister Miguel Ángel Moratinos.
The mayor claims that residents of his financially troubled town should have ‘the same economic progress as its Gibraltar neighbours and friends,’ but that he does not want La Linea to complicate Spain’s relations with Gibraltar.
Sanchez discussed several topics in addition to the border tax on his trip to Madrid, and the ministry insists that the forum between Spain, Gibraltar, and Britain is chiefly focused on balancing the collective interests of all three.
A press conference regarding the meetings is expected by Friday, but previous statements from the Tripartite Forum for Dialogue members have said they will discuss maritime security, the environment, and tax policy.
For more on tensions between La Linea and Gibraltar, see more Olive Press coverage.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00