By Wendy Williams
AFTER all the rumours and speculation surrounding their trip, Marbella is happy to welcome America´s First Lady Michelle Obama and her youngest daughter, Sasha, 9, to the resort.
Mother and daughter, who arrive today, will be spending their holiday in the luxurious Hotel Villa Padierna, known to be the best hotel in Spain.
The White House continue to deny claims that the President will be joining them to celebrate his 49th birthday.
But many are holding out hope that Michelle will indeed be joined by her husband in the five-star resort.
A large American flag hangs proudly in the entrance next to the Spanish flag, ready to greet the guests on their arrival.
And it’s no wonder the resort is so happy to welcome such distinguished visitors.
The Obamas are the most high profile visitors the resort has seen for a number of years and join the likes of Frank Sinatra, Cary Grant and Laurence Olivier in putting Marbella on the map.
Having the First Lady here is definitely a boost for the area and perhaps signals a new age for the Costa del Crime.
It has been estimated that her trip, the subject of huge media frenzy, will generate 800million Euros in Spanish revenue..
For a resort which has been associated with criminal gangs and corrupt officials, the Obama family choosing to spend their holidays here is definitely cause for celebration.
However, the huge billboard designed to welcome the family disappeared overnight on Monday.
According to Imagen Consulting and Compremosa Sur, who erected the sign, they were told to remove it at the request of the town hall.
But, whilst the billboard may no longer say it, the message from the resort is clear: “Welcome Obama Family, Thank you for choosing Marbella”.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00