By Wendy Williams
A BRITISH father and son have drowned at Playa del Tesorillo in Almuñecar on the Costa Tropical.
Robert Wells, 75, and Jonathan Wells, 45, from Cobham in Surrey, died on Tuesday after the younger man leapt into the sea in a vain attempt to rescue his drowning father.
The pair, who were swimming despite the red flags warning of the danger from rough seas, were dragged under the water and drowned in strong currents.
Two Spanish men also risked their lives trying to rescue the pair but were unable to reach them because of the strength of the seas.
According to Jesus Balderas, 25, he tried to save the men but realised it was “almost impossible”.
He said: “The first person to enter the water was the older man, who was drowning, and then the younger man went in to save him and neither came back out.
“I went in to help them but the older man was already injured and I saw he wasn’t calling for help or anything.”
Police and paramedics rushed to the scene but both Britons were already dead when they were pulled from the water.
Cecelio Fajardo, head of the local Civil Protection rescue team, said: “We were called just after 4pm saying a swimmer was in trouble and some others were in the water trying to rescue him.
“We sent out a launch which had great difficulty reaching the two men because the sea was so violent.
“By the time we got to them they were already dead and were only able to bring the bodies back to the beach.”
Police say the family has been informed.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00