By Wendy Williams
A BRITISH father and son have drowned at Playa del Tesorillo in Almuñecar on the Costa Tropical.
Robert Wells, 75, and Jonathan Wells, 45, from Cobham in Surrey, died on Tuesday after the younger man leapt into the sea in a vain attempt to rescue his drowning father.
The pair, who were swimming despite the red flags warning of the danger from rough seas, were dragged under the water and drowned in strong currents.
Two Spanish men also risked their lives trying to rescue the pair but were unable to reach them because of the strength of the seas.
According to Jesus Balderas, 25, he tried to save the men but realised it was “almost impossible”.
He said: “The first person to enter the water was the older man, who was drowning, and then the younger man went in to save him and neither came back out.
“I went in to help them but the older man was already injured and I saw he wasn’t calling for help or anything.”
Police and paramedics rushed to the scene but both Britons were already dead when they were pulled from the water.
Cecelio Fajardo, head of the local Civil Protection rescue team, said: “We were called just after 4pm saying a swimmer was in trouble and some others were in the water trying to rescue him.
“We sent out a launch which had great difficulty reaching the two men because the sea was so violent.
“By the time we got to them they were already dead and were only able to bring the bodies back to the beach.”
Police say the family has been informed.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00