AS 33 miners have been dramatically rescued from the depths of the San José mine, another Chilean has made his own bid for freedom from a Fuengirola police station.
The 52-year-old was arrested following an incident in Plaza de la Hispanidad where he knocked down a local police man with his car.
Officers detained the man who was found to be drunk and discovered he was living in Spain illegally.
He was then arrested and brought to the police station, but managed to escape when he and another detainee were taken to the toilets.
When the officer attempted chased him, he found the door to the corridor had been locked and the man had escaped into the street.
Police are now searching for the fugitive.
Meanwhile, Chile is celebrating the success of the 22 hour operation, quickly dubbed the “miracle in the mine” that saw all 33 miners rescued.
Following the two month ordeal, Chilean president Sebastian Pinera, announced “They were experiencing a kind of rebirth.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00