A BRITISH expat has been convicted of assaulting undercover TV reporter Donal MacIntyre.
Chelsea fan James Wild, 47 – who had a business renting sun-beds on Estepona’s beaches – was found guilty of leading a brutal attack against the journalist.
Guildford Crown Court heard how the attack in a bar in Surrey came as a result of a 1999 BBC documentary exposing a gang of hooligans called the Chelsea Head Hunters.
The programme, in which MacIntyre went undercover, led to a six-year jail term for gang leader Jason Marriner.
Giving evidence at the trial, MacIntyre’s wife, Ameera, said: “They descended on him like a pack of wolves.
While they were kicking him they kept saying ‘get him – this is for Jason.”
Wild claimed he was an innocent bystander acting ‘100% in self-defence’.
But the jury believed otherwise and he is now awaiting his sentence in custody.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00