OVER one hundred rare bird species are threatened by the new planned Ronda-Marbella motorway.
The controversial road would pummel right through Sierra Bermeja’s conservation zone, said Spain’s main bird conservation society, SEO.
The habitat of the gravely threatened Bonelli’s Eagle is among the areas earmarked for the road.
The eagle has practically died out in northern Spain. Stable colonies now only exist only in Andalucia and Extremadura.
SEO was one of the many environmental groups to lodge their objections to the new road link between Malaga’s coast and mountainous interior.
The public consolation period for the project ended in late November.
But ecologists have asked the Junta to extend it as no notices have been displayed in the villages along the planned route.
In any case, the new motorway appears to have fallen off the government’s list of priorities amid widespread opposition and tightening public spending.
The 350 million euros required for the road is yet to be included in the Junta’s public works budget.
Sierra Bermeja is home to around 150 different birds: 25 of them are protected by EU laws and 117 by national or regional Spanish legislation.
Environmentalists say the new motorway will destroy decades of conservation work and open up huge swathes of land to property speculation.
They propose expanding existing railways and roads as an alternative.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00