OVER one hundred rare bird species are threatened by the new planned Ronda-Marbella motorway.
The controversial road would pummel right through Sierra Bermeja’s conservation zone, said Spain’s main bird conservation society, SEO.
The habitat of the gravely threatened Bonelli’s Eagle is among the areas earmarked for the road.
The eagle has practically died out in northern Spain. Stable colonies now only exist only in Andalucia and Extremadura.
SEO was one of the many environmental groups to lodge their objections to the new road link between Malaga’s coast and mountainous interior.
The public consolation period for the project ended in late November.
But ecologists have asked the Junta to extend it as no notices have been displayed in the villages along the planned route.
In any case, the new motorway appears to have fallen off the government’s list of priorities amid widespread opposition and tightening public spending.
The 350 million euros required for the road is yet to be included in the Junta’s public works budget.
Sierra Bermeja is home to around 150 different birds: 25 of them are protected by EU laws and 117 by national or regional Spanish legislation.
Environmentalists say the new motorway will destroy decades of conservation work and open up huge swathes of land to property speculation.
They propose expanding existing railways and roads as an alternative.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00