THE EU is set to investigate Gibraltar’s plans to expand into the sea.
In a further rift between the two neighbouring countries, the investigation follows a complaint from the town hall in Spanish border town La Linea.
Last October, the town’s Mayor, Alejandro Sánchez, and Andalucía PP president Javier Arenas presented their complaint in Brussels.
In a 100-page document they claimed La Línea is suffering ‘verifiable damage to its beaches because of the proximity of the landfills’.
Now the President of the EU Petitions Committee, Erminia Mazzoni, has confirmed a preliminary investigation into the landfill expansion will go ahead.
- Expat female chef chases off machete-wielding robbers - 18 Mar, 2011 @ 06:00
- People who study are healthier - 18 Mar, 2011 @ 05:30
- Poet Carlos Pranger: The new Brenan - 18 Mar, 2011 @ 05:00
- Spanish women are having fewer children - 17 Mar, 2011 @ 07:15
- Pill bargaining - 17 Mar, 2011 @ 07:00
- Carmen Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum set to open in Malaga - 16 Mar, 2011 @ 08:00
- Spain complains about Gibraltar landfill plans - 16 Mar, 2011 @ 08:00
- Operation nuclear clean-up - 15 Mar, 2011 @ 08:30
- Sevilla royal visit for Prince Charles and Camilla - 14 Mar, 2011 @ 10:56
- Ruffled feathers in Ronda - 14 Mar, 2011 @ 08:45