SHOCKING figures have revealed that over half of the fires this summer in the Campo de Gibraltar were started deliberately.
It has emerged that 53 per cent of the 73 fires that tore across the region were lit by firebugs.
The numbers of fires this summer was up from 49 incidences in 2010.
A total of 418.92 hectares were affected, with the highest affected town being San Roque with 16 fires.
Sheer vandalism accounted for 11 fires in Barbate.
“This is a very serious situation,” said Silvia Lopez, the Provincial Environmental Delegate.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46