THE year has not started well for Spanish cyclist Alberto Contador.
He has been stripped of his 2010 Tour de France victory and banned for two years for doping.
And now, the Basque butcher who sold the steak that Contador blames for his high reading of clenbuterol, is considering legal action against the disgraced sportsman.
Javier Zabaleta said that his lawyers ‘are examining everything that has been said in the case’ and had not ruled out taking judicial action.
The butcher, from Irun, claimed in a press conference that he had had a miserable time for a year and a half, especially when a company of private detectives from Madrid subjected him to ‘particular control’.
It comes after the court rejected Contador’s arguments that the drug in his system – a fat-burning and muscle-building supplement which is sometimes used by farmers to fatten their livestock – had come from contaminated meat.
Lawyers for the Madrid cyclist argued the meat consumed on the 2010 Tour’s second rest day was from a cow imported from a European country where farmers are known to give clenbuterol to cattle to improve their market value.
However, Zabaleta always maintained that the meat he sold to the rider had been bred in the Basque Country.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10