EXCLUSIVE by Eloise Horsfield
A PENSIONER is demanding action after his dog was ‘deliberately poisoned’.
Six-year-old Ozzie spent four days on a drip fighting for his life after eating a sausage roll that had been laced with insecticide or fertilizer.
David Watkins, 76, from Comares, woke to find the podenco so ill he was unable to stand.
“It was a horrendous sight,” said former sailor Watkins, originally from London.
“There was excrement and vomit everywhere, even on the kitchen table.”
Watkins soon found the culprit, a half-eaten sausage roll, which he took to his vet Carolina Guidotti Gonzalez at the Axarquia Veterinary Clinic for analysis.
“There were definite signs of a toxic substance, possibly insecticide or fertilizer,” she confirmed.
While Ozzie has now made a full recovery, Watkins is determined to get to the bottom of what happened.
“We’re going to do whatever it takes to find out who did it,” he said, after paying a 114 euro vet bill.
“As soon as we get confirmation we’re going to the police and mayor.”
The incident comes just two months after the village awoke to find a worrying number of dead dogs and cats strewed around the town.
“They counted 22 bodies in total,” said Patricia King, who coordinated a petition to take to the town hall after the apparent mass poisoning.
“We will not tolerate this, nor will the police,” said a town hall spokesman, adding that owners needed to ensure pets were not running loose, and to file denuncias for individual cases.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02