SPAIN’S Socialist party is calling for the Catholic Church to pay property tax on any buildings not used for worship.
It comes after it emerged the church is avoiding paying the so called IBI tax on its buildings due to a royal decree from the 1970s.
“If all citizens are making an effort, why not the church?” asked Oscar Lopez, secretary of PSOE.
However Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has opposed the scheme saying it is ‘irresponsible’ to change the law.
He added the church plays ‘a very important social function’.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02