MICHELLE Obama may be used to appearing on the cover of magazines but it is unlikely she gave her approval for this latest appearance.
The Spanish magazine Fuera de Serie has stirred up controversy by revealing a photoshopped picture of the First Lady bare breasted and as a 19th century slave.
The original portrait, titled Portrait D’Une Negresse, was released in 1800, when French artist Marie-Guillemine Benoist exhibited the painting at the Louvre’s annual salon.
At the time the portrait was viewed as a tribute to emancipation and the beginning of a feminist movement in France coming just six years after the country had abolished slavery.
But this message has been lost on online viewers who have simply found the cover offensive and racist.
Even the article’s headline ‘Michelle Granddaughter of a Slave, Lady of America’ has done little to calm reader’s fury.
“As a non-Spanish speaker I first looked at the image and just thought OMG that’s Michelle Obama’s boobs,” writes Jessica Wakeman on The Frisky.
However the artist responsible Karine Percheron-Daniels has defended her work saying it shows an ‘alternative unexpected reality’ by allowing the viewer to see ‘famous individuals in a different way’.
“I’m sure Obama would love it, and I hope that someday she can see it,” she said.
The image is part of a series of edited photos that show famous people’s faces on the heads of other nudes.
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33