A MAJOR investigation to crack down on gangs smuggling into the UK via Spain has resulted in the arrests of 19 people.
The UK Border Agency and the Guardia Civil made the arrests as part of Operation MARLO following raids on addresses in Alicante, Madrid, London and Hull.
Those arrested were suspected of assisting Iranian migrants to reach the UK from mainland Europe.
The gang is said to have been contacted by up to 100 potential customers per month and was charging clients up to €18,000 each.
Simon Cooper, from the UK Border Agency covering Spain, said: “Spain is becoming a hard place for organised immigration crime to operate and criminals now know that they will be disrupted and brought to justice.”
Anyone with information about immigration crime can pass it on via Crimestoppers at http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48