BRITISH holidaymakers are warning tourists to beware of a car hire firm on the Costa del Sol.
At least six people claim to have been duped by Malaga-based Rent a Car Spain.
Users of the company have complained that vehicles are in a poor condition and deposits are not being returned.
“The cars you get are damaged when they arrive,” said one client 70-year-old George Oliver, who holidayed in Fuengirola with his wife in November.
“The car had numerous bashes and scrapes, and I returned it after two days because the handbrake didn’t even hold.
“The second car was equally beaten up,” he added.
Oliver claims that following a safe return of the vehicle, his €400 ‘caution fee’ (or deposit) was not returned.
After several weeks of trying to contact the company, Oliver went directly to his bank to make a formal complaint.
“One month later my bank returned the €400 fee and said it believed that it was unfair trading.”
Incredibly, Oliver claims his brother-in-law also lost €400 from the company at the same time.
However, a spokeswoman from Rent a Car Spain, claims Oliver did not wait long enough for the normal refund procedure to take place before contacting his bank.
“We are a serious company working here for more than 12 years and of course take a deposit as guarantee for the rental,” she said.
“This is completely legal and obviously a client has to be responsible for any damage caused.
“In this case, as the client claimed to the bank, we had to stop our refund process, otherwise we would have refunded him twice.
“We agreed with the bank to refund the deposit as the car was returned correctly,” she said.
The spokeswoman added that Oliver has ‘used the company more than once without any problems’.
The company also claims to have no knowledge of the bashing it has received on popular travel website TripAdvisor.
At least five people have claimed the same thing happened.
“If I can’t reach them I will be asking my credit card provider to look into this for me as a fraudulent transaction,” wrote one user.
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36