THE Spanish authorities have stepped up their searches of vehicles on the Gibraltar border, less than 24 hours after a high-ranking visit by the European Commission (EC) to investigate the issue.
The action brought misery to thousands trying to get home on Friday evening, and many turned to social media to vent their frustrations.
“Stuck in Gibraltar again – They are making every car park at the border, opening up each boot and bonnet and searching – when there are a few thousand cars waiting,” read one. “It is a total joke”.
The sudden go slow led to some people spending up to four hours in the queues, it was reported.
The searches also came just hours after the EC visit, which followed complaints made by the Government of Gibraltar and MEPs at the end of July.
The Commission delegation was accompanied by the deputy chief minister and senior officials to view the vehicular, pedestrian and commercial entry and exit points of the frontier from the Gibraltar side. At the time there was a two-hour queue of vehicles trying to enter the territory.
After the visit Gibraltar’s Conservative MEPs called on the Commission to make an “early and crystal clear” public statement on the findings of the fact-finding mission.
In a joint statement they vowed: “We will not let the issue be kicked into the long grass.”
They said it was ‘vitally important’ to the people of Gibraltar and raised ‘extremely serious’ about freedom of movement and trade.
- VIDEO: Nightmare returns for illegal homeowners in Spain as Junta once again demolishes foreigners homes - 16 Oct, 2013 @ 08:00
- VIDEO: Two British-owned homes have been demolished in Spain and two more will come down this week - 15 Oct, 2013 @ 11:44
- Spanish name for Halle Berry and Olivier Martinez’s baby boy - 14 Oct, 2013 @ 12:13
- VIDEO: Metropolitan Police release new e-fits in connection with Maddie McCann disappearance - 14 Oct, 2013 @ 10:23
- Louis Vuitton collaborates with Spanish illustrator to create new shopping app ads - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 17:50
- Hilarious holiday complaints revealed by travel company - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 14:16
- Have Enrique Iglesias and Anna Kournikova broken up? - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 08:09
- Protesters strip naked to make a point against animal cruelty - 12 Oct, 2013 @ 14:11
- Spanish doctor ordered to pay up for mis-diagnosis of Wolf Man - 11 Oct, 2013 @ 06:00
- Three netball teams join to raise money for Macmillan Cancer - 9 Oct, 2013 @ 11:27