THE storm of protest over Chief Minister Fabian Picardo’s speech to the UN last week continues to rumble on.
Spain’s deputy prime minister Soraya Sáenz de Santamaría insisted Picardo had displayed ‘a lack of respect’ toward Spain’s law enforcement agencies and to Spain in general.
“I think that the statements speak for themselves,” she told reporters.
Spain reacted furiously when Mr Picardo used the phrases ‘police and military incursions’ and ‘shots fired’ to illustrate Spanish aggression toward Gibraltar during his address to the UN’s Fourth Committee.
The Spanish Government has now said it is making a formal diplomatic protest to the British Government and would write formally to the chairman of the Fourth Committee urging him to take ‘appropriate steps’.
Arsenio Fernández de Mesa, the director general of the Guardia Civil, described the comments as ‘indecent’ and said Spain was exercising “impeccable restraint in the face of provocation from the Rock.”
Yesterday two Spanish police unions said they would take legal steps against the Chief Minister following his UN statement.
The Gibraltarian government has complained that Spanish politicians had focused solely on two or three phrases of a much longer speech that spoke about the need for constructive dialogue for the benefit of communities on both side of the border.
- Summer on the Costa del Sol may have to be spent indoors to avoid beach hut blazes and killer bacteria, writes Giles Brown - 12 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- OSP is not just a political party, writes Giles Brown, who has slowly watched the decline of San Pedro - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 12:00
- Giles Brown thought he had left his brushes with the law back in the 1980s - 10 Mar, 2019 @ 10:31
- An idyllic cottage by the lake in Andalucia gave Giles Brown a bit more than he bargained for - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 09:30
- Loud and Clear: The Costa del Sol Boar Wars have begun says Giles Brown - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- PROTEST WITH NO BULL: Why new year is the perfect time to campaign for change on the Costa del Sol - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- Giles Brown is stuck in ‘festive no man’s land’ - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 09:00
- What NOT to do at your office Christmas party in Spain - 21 Dec, 2018 @ 12:00
- Guests got more than they bargained for at Gibraltar’s Fawlty Towers dinner - 24 Nov, 2018 @ 19:00
- EXCLUSIVE : the Olive Press has Breakfast with Berkoff - 10 Nov, 2018 @ 11:01