THE first field trial of a genetically modified insect could take place in Spain.
A UK biotechnologht company has applied for permission to carry out the tests on GM olive flies.
The aim is to combat the olive crop pest by releasing male flies that have a female killing gene.
If the GM flies can outbreed the wild flies, the female offspring will die – reducing the olive fly population.
Olive flies are the single major pest of olive production, and can wipe out an entire olive crop if left untreated.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40