SWITCHING to organic fruit could be equivalent to eating two extra portions of fruit and veg a day, according to an international research team.
Organic produce contains more antioxidants as well as lower levels of toxic metals and pesticides.
The study concluded antioxidants – which can help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and some cancers, are between 19 and 69% higher in organic fruit and veg.
Opinions are still divided, however, as the organic versus conventional produce debate rages on.
Professor Richard Mithen of the Institute of Food Research (IFR) at the University of East Anglia, insisted the study failed to persuade consumers to switch.
“There is no evidence provided that the relatively modest differences in the levels of some of these compounds would have any consequences [good or bad] on public health,” he argued.
Prof Mithen added that the higher cost of organic produce would mean that people would be likely to eat less, offsetting any nutritional benefits.
- Out of this world: ‘Green Spaceship’ to dock in Madrid - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:24
- After a five-year period of sustained growth, there is a change in the air in Marbella, reports Diana Morales Properties - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:14
- Rule-breaking Madrid design firm gives grunge office block some colour therapy - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 18:52
- The latest mega-development for Gibraltar has all the signs of being a big hit with investors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:43
- Madrid architects take centre stage with their dramatic conversion of a historic playhouse - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:25
- BBQ King: Ingenious pellet stove barbecues are a dream come true for cooking outdoors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:09
- Famous British businessman and Premier League football star flock to new Benahavis development - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:08
- Barcelona Unesco treasure hosts Scottish cancer charity’s first care centre on the continent - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:47
- Amazing conversion: how to bring a beautiful old abandoned 18th century townhouse back to life - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:40
- 5 Ideas of Having Fun in Internet - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 09:23