A DRUGS-BUST has led to the seizure of 2.8 tonnes of hashish and the arrest of five people near celebrities’ homes in Marbella following a tip-off.
A concerned Marbella neighbour alerted the Guardia Civil to men unloading large packages from a motorised inflatable boat onto Alicate beach on July 8.
Officers found an initial 10 bales of hashish, and caught three men as they tried to either flee or hide.
“Caught red-handed, the individuals fled, some by car while others ran to a nearby area of brush and weeds,” said a police statement issued on Friday.
Another suspect was arrested in Granada a day later, finding a further 14 bales of hashish, weighing 430kg, inside the car he was driving.
After identifying and locating the fifth man and his home, a final 63 bales containing 1.9 tonnes of hashish, €14,980 in cash, 11 mobile phones and two vehicles were confiscated.
The men are between 28 to 40 years old, two of them are Spanish while the other three are Moroccan.
Alicate beach is known as one of Marbella’s most beautiful beaches and is flanked by celebrities’ homes, including Antonio Banderas’.
Operation ‘Edgar’ remains open.
- Police uncover 36 Egyptian artefacts in Valencia - 1 Feb, 2015 @ 12:00
- Zara boss buys iconic building on Madrid’s Gran Via - 1 Feb, 2015 @ 11:00
- Huge sports complex to open in Sabinillas - 1 Feb, 2015 @ 08:00
- Expat searches for ‘perfect home’ for Costa del Sol turtle - 31 Jan, 2015 @ 11:00
- ‘Tolkien universe’ theme park to open in Rincon de la Victoria - 30 Jan, 2015 @ 17:24
- IMF raises Spain’s growth forecast saying it has entered a ‘virtous circle’ - 30 Jan, 2015 @ 08:00
- Organic success in Marbella - 30 Jan, 2015 @ 08:00
- European Central Bank to buy 10% of Spain’s public debt - 29 Jan, 2015 @ 18:09
- WikiLeaks threaten legal action after Google hand over journalist email data to US government - 28 Jan, 2015 @ 13:47
- Swans talent show stuns audience - 28 Jan, 2015 @ 08:00