NHS bosses in North Wales have been forced to employ 70 Spanish nurses over Skype, due to a UK-wide staffing crisis.
Applicants for positions within the Welsh NHS are so scarce that managers have resorted to interviewing potential candidates via Skype to speed up the process.
Half of the recruited Spaniards have already taken up their positions with the remaining 45 on their way.
A spokesman for the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board in Wales admitted that it was ‘struggling to recruit new recruits from within the UK’.
He added: “We need to attract qualified nurses.
“We do not require staff to learn Welsh as a condition of their employment.
“However, as a health board we do provide active support to staff who wish to learn to speak Welsh and a number of the nurses from Spain have expressed an interest in and have commenced learning the language.”
The news comes as new figures revealed A&E waiting times have reached their lowest levels in England in a decade.
Just 92.6% of patients were seen within the four-hour time limit set by the UK health minister Jeremy Hunt in 2014.
- Historic building awards from the Gibraltar Heritage Trust - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 11:16
- Caught live: Massive winner from UK’s most relevant band of the last few decades - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 20:42
- 11 new villages make it onto Spain’s ‘most beautiful’ list - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:40
- FAB FRESCOS: Spain has some of the best, but how many do you recognise? - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 10:51
- Maldonado’s Mijas is like nowhere else says Bill Anderson as just five are running the town council - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Benabola Hotel in Marbella gets a revamped roof terrace ready for the summer season - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- EXPANSION: Pole position as long-running expat agent opens fifth office in central Marbella - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:31
- Using Cryptocurrency as a Major Mode of Payment - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 07:58
- WATCH: Dramatic six-car pile-up blocks Marbella tunnel as Guardia Civil on scene - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:58
- Mallorca finca featured in New York Times - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:21