NHS bosses in North Wales have been forced to employ 70 Spanish nurses over Skype, due to a UK-wide staffing crisis.
Applicants for positions within the Welsh NHS are so scarce that managers have resorted to interviewing potential candidates via Skype to speed up the process.
Half of the recruited Spaniards have already taken up their positions with the remaining 45 on their way.
A spokesman for the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board in Wales admitted that it was ‘struggling to recruit new recruits from within the UK’.
He added: “We need to attract qualified nurses.
“We do not require staff to learn Welsh as a condition of their employment.
“However, as a health board we do provide active support to staff who wish to learn to speak Welsh and a number of the nurses from Spain have expressed an interest in and have commenced learning the language.”
The news comes as new figures revealed A&E waiting times have reached their lowest levels in England in a decade.
Just 92.6% of patients were seen within the four-hour time limit set by the UK health minister Jeremy Hunt in 2014.
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02
- Figuring out your next career move: Where to start from? - 3 Jul, 2019 @ 10:19
- Online Sports Betting in Spain – Where to Play & What’s Legal? - 2 Jul, 2019 @ 09:16
- A secret escape just 10 minutes from the Costa del Sol - 29 Jun, 2019 @ 09:00
- Creative cuisine has finally started to revolutionise the Axarquia and Costa Tropical’s dining scene - 28 Jun, 2019 @ 11:14