AN international rescue mission for the world’s seas has landed in Andalucia.
The Ocean Crusader mission to clean up the world’s seas has launched its Spanish leg of the world tour in Almeria.
Founders, Australian Ian Thomson and his Swedish wife Annika Fredrikson, spent two days meeting marine biologists in Almeria on the latest leg of their tour which will also take them around the Balearics.
Talking about the impact litter can have on marine life, the pair are attempting to save the depleting seas.
In fact, marine life has halved in the last 45 years with many species on the brink of extinction.
The Olive Press launched a campaign Bin the Bags in 2008, in a bid to force supermarkets and other shops to levy a charge on plastic bags.
Since then a law has come in with most supermarkets charging at least two cents for a bag.
However, it is clearly not enough, with a whopping 75% of tuna having disappeared from the world’s oceans in the past 40 years, according to the Living Blue Planet.
One in four shark species are also at risk of extinction. While four out of seven leatherback turtles are under threat and sea cucumber numbers have decreased by 90%.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36