LIONEL Messi has been awarded the Ballon d’Or for the best player in the world for a fifth time.
The Argentine saw off Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo and Brazilian Neymar with a landslide 41.33% of the vote last night.
He previously won the award four years in a row from 2009 to 2012, with Ronaldo reigning over the last two years.
Between the pair of them, they have won the last eight Ballon d’Ors.
Messi, 28, scored 52 goals in 61 games in 2015, as well as providing 26 assists.
Meanwhile, Ronaldo, 30, scored 57 goals in as many games.
“It’s a very special moment for me to be back here on this stage, winning again another Ballon d’Or after seeing Cristiano win it,” Messi said.
“It’s incredible that it’s my fifth, much more than anything I would have dreamed of as a kid.”
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44