ONE of Spain’s most aristocratic matadors is under scrutiny after he was photographed fighting a bull with his five-month-old daughter under his arm.
The controversial image captures the Beckham of the bullring Fran Rivera, 42, and his baby daughter, Carmen, alongside large wounded bull, and was posted on his Instagram with the caption ‘Carmen’s debut’.
When criticised by social service officials for putting the child at risk, the father of two responded that ‘there is no safer place for her to be than in my arms’.
Indeed, it is a family tradition and he later posted a photo of himself as a child on his father’s shoulders as he fought a bull.
Animal rights group PACMA commented on the ‘shameful’ nature of his actions, and equality minister Maria Jose Sanchez said ‘A fireman wouldn’t dream of taking a child to put out a fire’.
Animal rights campaigner and comedian Ricky Gervais also tweeted the act was ‘mental, dangerous and cruel. With or without a baby.’
Rivera is married to Carmen’s lawyer mother Lourdes Montes, after divorcing the Duchess of Alba’s daughter, Eugenia Martinez de Irujo.
- An Ayurvedic detox diet can help you bounce back from winter bingeing, writes Andalucia-based chef Manna Teji - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 09:00
- Stunning Sarmiento offers a lot more than the best view on the Costa del Sol - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 16:05
- Historic building awards from the Gibraltar Heritage Trust - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 11:16
- Caught live: Massive winner from UK’s most relevant band of the last few decades - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 20:42
- 11 new villages make it onto Spain’s ‘most beautiful’ list - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:40
- FAB FRESCOS: Spain has some of the best, but how many do you recognise? - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 10:51
- Maldonado’s Mijas is like nowhere else says Bill Anderson as just five are running the town council - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Benabola Hotel in Marbella gets a revamped roof terrace ready for the summer season - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- EXPANSION: Pole position as long-running expat agent opens fifth office in central Marbella - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:31
- Using Cryptocurrency as a Major Mode of Payment - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 07:58