WHEN David Carter bought Richo from a pet shop he thought he was bringing home a pedigree labrador to his 12-year-old daughter.
Rico came at a premium price too, with David, 43, paying the shop in Fuengirola a woofing €350 for the one-month-old ‘pure-breed’ puppy.
So he was anything but impressed when a local vet informed him that Richo was a mixed breed and probably half podenco.
“I am devastated. They are charging a premium price for mixed-breed dogs yet they sold me a dud,” David told the Olive Press.
The expat, who lives Mijas, first realised something was up when he noticed Richo was much smaller than other labradors of the same age.
Returning to the shop, a concession inside supermarket Carrefour, David demanded an explanation.
“When I went in, they showed me a photo of Richo’s parents as some sort of proof,” said David.
“I showed them a photo of Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth and said, ‘Well, that’s my mum and dad.'”
Although the shop originally offered David his money back in exchange for Richo, they have since changed their minds.
David now plans to take Richo to England for further tests to prove he has been sold a dodgy dog.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00