THE Observatorio Espanol contra la LGBTfobia (StopLGBTfobia), asked the Spanish government to take action against the hurlers of homophobic chants during last weekends Barcelona V Real Madrid match.
The chants were reportedly aimed at Christiano Ronaldo during the one minute silence held before the game to honour John Cryuff, the legendary Barca player who died last month.
StopLGBTfobia founder Franciscoo Ramirez released a statement calling for action to be taken against the abuse, which he says is still widespread on Spanish grounds.
“These lamentable and shameful actions are punishable under the Sport law of 2007,” he said.
“For years players and referees have often been insulted using homophobic terms, without there being any public or exemplary punishment. This ends up continuing the presence of homophobia in Spanish football.”
He added that Ronaldo has often been the target of homophobic slurs, and that its continuation is a stain on the sport.
La Liga released a statement saying it will send a report to the Spanish government’s committee against violence, racism, xenophobia and intolerance in sport.
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40