THE Observatorio Espanol contra la LGBTfobia (StopLGBTfobia), asked the Spanish government to take action against the hurlers of homophobic chants during last weekends Barcelona V Real Madrid match.
The chants were reportedly aimed at Christiano Ronaldo during the one minute silence held before the game to honour John Cryuff, the legendary Barca player who died last month.
StopLGBTfobia founder Franciscoo Ramirez released a statement calling for action to be taken against the abuse, which he says is still widespread on Spanish grounds.
“These lamentable and shameful actions are punishable under the Sport law of 2007,” he said.
“For years players and referees have often been insulted using homophobic terms, without there being any public or exemplary punishment. This ends up continuing the presence of homophobia in Spanish football.”
He added that Ronaldo has often been the target of homophobic slurs, and that its continuation is a stain on the sport.
La Liga released a statement saying it will send a report to the Spanish government’s committee against violence, racism, xenophobia and intolerance in sport.
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52