SIX Brits have been arrested after Spanish police seized over 300lbs of marijuana buds destined for the UK.
Police apprehended one suspect on his way to Britain in a rental van, which was found to contain 175lbs of the drug in vacuum-wrapped packages.
Investigators later discovered three indoor cannabis labs designed to home-grow the drug.
More than £36,000, eight vehicles and drug-making equipment were unearthed in Mijas and Casares, where the smuggling gang had set up base.
A Guardia Civil Malaga spokesman said: “This criminal group had extreme security measures in place to avoid detection by law enforcement agencies and were constantly changing drivers and the rental vans they used to transport the drugs.
“The investigation began in January when police became aware of suspicious movement around a property and discovered a gang was growing cannabis there and distributing it to the United Kingdom.
“The drugs were driven to Britain by road, hidden inside rental vans. Investigators stopped one of the suspects when he began his journey.”
The ‘Monteolivo’ operation has seen two British drug smuggling gangs thwarted in the past two months in Malaga.
Three Albanians, a Russian and a Spaniard were also arrested.
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14