SIX Brits have been arrested after Spanish police seized over 300lbs of marijuana buds destined for the UK.
Police apprehended one suspect on his way to Britain in a rental van, which was found to contain 175lbs of the drug in vacuum-wrapped packages.
Investigators later discovered three indoor cannabis labs designed to home-grow the drug.
More than £36,000, eight vehicles and drug-making equipment were unearthed in Mijas and Casares, where the smuggling gang had set up base.
A Guardia Civil Malaga spokesman said: “This criminal group had extreme security measures in place to avoid detection by law enforcement agencies and were constantly changing drivers and the rental vans they used to transport the drugs.
“The investigation began in January when police became aware of suspicious movement around a property and discovered a gang was growing cannabis there and distributing it to the United Kingdom.
“The drugs were driven to Britain by road, hidden inside rental vans. Investigators stopped one of the suspects when he began his journey.”
The ‘Monteolivo’ operation has seen two British drug smuggling gangs thwarted in the past two months in Malaga.
Three Albanians, a Russian and a Spaniard were also arrested.
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40
- FLAG-RANT: Fabian Picardo steps in after American cruise ship infuriates Gibraltar with ‘Welcome to Gibraltor’ message printed on Spanish flag - 16 May, 2019 @ 11:09
- WATCH: Dramatic rescue after two ‘narco boats’ collide off Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 May, 2019 @ 15:29
- Mystery as expat and two Lithuanians found in busted van carrying €1 MILLION CASH en route to Malaga – but NONE of them claim ownership - 15 May, 2019 @ 12:31
- ‘SOMEONE MUST KNOW’: Grandmother of missing British lad who vanished with his father from Spain’s Costa del Sol makes heartfelt appeal - 15 May, 2019 @ 10:45
- BAD FELLAS: Prison guard and 43 others arrested after Cadiz gang teams up with Italian mafia to free cannabis kingpin from Costa del Sol jail - 14 May, 2019 @ 15:54