EATING al fresco is one of the joys of living in Spain.
Dining on the terraza of your favourite restaurant under a parasol during the day, or on warm evenings, nursing tintos de verano or cold canas. Life doesn’t get much better.
But some restaurants have turned the concept of a terrace into an art form.
Some of Andalucia’s finest places to eat focus their entire attention on outdoor dining and hardly bother with indoor space.
Naturally rainy days wreak havoc, but the generally fine weather from April to October more than makes up for this.
Living here for well over a decade I have made it my business to find all the best restaurants around the region’s eight provinces.
As the editor of the region’s leading independent – and objective – online restaurant guide Dining Secrets of Andalucia, I have turned it into a job. And I have certainly been spoilt for choice.
When it comes to eating outdoors, here are some of my favourite picks:
In the Serrania de Ronda, the best of the bunch, must be Almocobar, sitting in an ancient square by the historic Almocobar arch, while nearby Arriate has its charming El Muelle next to the train station, perfect for watching the sun set.
Both have spectacularly good terraces for dining, the Molino by a raging stream with plenty of trees for shade, Al Lago with some of the best views in Christendom.
In Nerja, Carabeo has an amazing garden terrace overlooking the sea, while up in nearby Frigiliana look out for El Jardin where Robert has created a magical spot with fantastic healthy food and views to match.
Another excellent spot in inland Axarquia is Los Orquideas, a hotel overlooking lake Vinuela, where chef Carlos Vera Mata creates a great range of dishes.
And in Gibraltar you have got places like The Landings and Cafe Solo, with a great terrace in the heart of emblematic Casemates Square.
Ultimately you could spend every day of the year eating a fine meal outdoors in Andalucia. That is apart from the 25 days a year when it rains, when you will just have to sit inside!
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27