THE Philippines has elected its first openly LGBT politician.
Geraldine Roman, 49, won the lower house seat for Bataan province, just north of the capital Manila.
Roman had spent several years in Spain, where she was the senior editor for the Spanish News Agency, and mastered several languages.
“The politics of bigotry, hatred and discrimination did not triumph,” said Roman, “What triumphed was the politics of love, acceptance and respect.”
Her victory comes despite the lack of LGBT rights in the Philippines – where gay marriage is illegal and where no politician has come out due to fears of a backlash from its overwhelming Catholic population (more than 80%).
Roman said her family always remained supportive of her, and that her father advised her to “remain confident” despite being bullied for her gender identity in school.
The seat Roman won was previously held by her mother.
The political pedigree of her parents, both popular career politicians, is said to have aided in her victory.
She has promised to be a champion of LGBT rights, but insists she will prove she is more than a single-issue candidate.
Fellow Filipino and boxing legend Manny Pacquiao, who is also seeking a political career in the country, was recently forced to apologise after labelling gay people as ´worse than animals´.
- Brazilian soldier from convoy of President Bolsonaro arrested for smuggling cocaine into Spain’s Sevilla after controversial leader vowed to crack down on drugs - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 12:41
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27