THE leaders of Spain’s main political parties addressed concerns over Brexit in their final day of campaigning ahead of the general election on Sunday.
The Popular Party, lead by acting Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, tried to reassure Spaniards of the stability of their country’s financial system
He told supporters in Madrid: “I think I represent the feelings of the vast majority of Spaniards when I defend Spain’s commitment to the European integration process, the importance of euro zone stability and continuing the reform of our economic and monetary union.”
Leader of the far left Podemos, Pablo Iglesias, demanded policy changes in the bloc, citing Brexit as a wake up call.
He told a rally in Madrid: “Nobody would want to leave a Europe of fairness and solidarity.”
In Seville, the Socialist Party’s Pedro Sanchez urged Spain to ‘reflect on some people’s irresponsible behaviour of offering binary yes-no solutions to complex problems’, seemingly suggesting the referendum was too complex to be put down to a yes or no vote.
Ciudadanos and its leader Albert Rivera labelled Brexit as “an opportunity to relaunch the common European project”.
While Spain want to remain in the EU, recent polls suggest France and others now want their own referendum on EU membership.
The UK voted to leave to EU on June 23 with a 52% majority.
Spain’s general election is on Sunday June 26.
- Expats rally around British pensioner made homeless on Spain’s Costa del Sol as alleged ‘squatter tenants’ speak out - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 20:32
- British expats and locals FUMING as celebrity chef Dani Garcia’s chiringuito gets go ahead on protected land in southern Spain - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:16
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09