THE leaders of Spain’s main political parties addressed concerns over Brexit in their final day of campaigning ahead of the general election on Sunday.
The Popular Party, lead by acting Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, tried to reassure Spaniards of the stability of their country’s financial system
He told supporters in Madrid: “I think I represent the feelings of the vast majority of Spaniards when I defend Spain’s commitment to the European integration process, the importance of euro zone stability and continuing the reform of our economic and monetary union.”
Leader of the far left Podemos, Pablo Iglesias, demanded policy changes in the bloc, citing Brexit as a wake up call.
He told a rally in Madrid: “Nobody would want to leave a Europe of fairness and solidarity.”
In Seville, the Socialist Party’s Pedro Sanchez urged Spain to ‘reflect on some people’s irresponsible behaviour of offering binary yes-no solutions to complex problems’, seemingly suggesting the referendum was too complex to be put down to a yes or no vote.
Ciudadanos and its leader Albert Rivera labelled Brexit as “an opportunity to relaunch the common European project”.
While Spain want to remain in the EU, recent polls suggest France and others now want their own referendum on EU membership.
The UK voted to leave to EU on June 23 with a 52% majority.
Spain’s general election is on Sunday June 26.
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19