THE leaders of Spain’s main political parties addressed concerns over Brexit in their final day of campaigning ahead of the general election on Sunday.
The Popular Party, lead by acting Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, tried to reassure Spaniards of the stability of their country’s financial system
He told supporters in Madrid: “I think I represent the feelings of the vast majority of Spaniards when I defend Spain’s commitment to the European integration process, the importance of euro zone stability and continuing the reform of our economic and monetary union.”
Leader of the far left Podemos, Pablo Iglesias, demanded policy changes in the bloc, citing Brexit as a wake up call.
He told a rally in Madrid: “Nobody would want to leave a Europe of fairness and solidarity.”
In Seville, the Socialist Party’s Pedro Sanchez urged Spain to ‘reflect on some people’s irresponsible behaviour of offering binary yes-no solutions to complex problems’, seemingly suggesting the referendum was too complex to be put down to a yes or no vote.
Ciudadanos and its leader Albert Rivera labelled Brexit as “an opportunity to relaunch the common European project”.
While Spain want to remain in the EU, recent polls suggest France and others now want their own referendum on EU membership.
The UK voted to leave to EU on June 23 with a 52% majority.
Spain’s general election is on Sunday June 26.
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27