SERGIO GARCIA has announced he will play at the Rio Olympics after fears over the Zika virus caused a roster of top players to drop out.
Irish golfing star Rory McIlroy has announced he will miss the games, due to start in August, alongside March Leishman of Australia and Fiji’s Vijay Singh.
World number one Jason Day is the latest to withdraw, citing ‘potential risks to my wife’s future pregnancies’.
However, Spanish star Garcia said: “I obviously have some worries and I am not going to lie about them.
“There are some security issues there that I would like to be taken care of and the Zika virus is causing a few problems but I don’t have immediate plans of having a family with my girlfriend.”
Zika, a mosquito-borne virus linked to severe birth defects, has cast a cloud over preparations for the Summer Games.
World number four McIlroy said: “After speaking with those closest to me, I’ve come to realise that my health and my family’s health comes before anything else.”
“Even though the risk of infection from the Zika virus is considered low, it is a risk nonetheless, and a risk I am unwilling to take.”
Spain’s Miguel Angel Jimenez has also ruled himself out of the Olympics to focus on other events.
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33